Saturday 16 August 2014

3 things I can honestly say to people preparing for results day

1) results aren't the be all and end all. 


If you didn't get the results you were expecting, it's ok. 

For GCSE students, all you really need are C's in Maths, English & ICT - everything else is a bonus (unless you need a particular grade for college) and even if you don't get those it's still ok. 

My partner doesn't have a C in maths, he's still been to college & got the job he always wanted. You can go to college & resit or you can see where you get without it. It's fine, there are other options! 

If you've just done your AS levels and didn't get the grades you wanted, you're not alone! 
99% of people I know who have done AS levels didn't get the grade they wanted after the first year of college. And 90% of those went on to 2nd year of college & improved those grades.  
I my first year, I got a D grade in C1 mathematics and when I resat in January of second year I got an A 99% without doing much work towards improving the grade. Obviously, I'm not trying to say you're guaranteed a better grade just for going onto 2nd year but I found that by going onto A2 of my subjects I got a better understanding of the subjects and the requirements of the exams making the exams easier than before. 

2) there's set no right or wrong decision.


Make the decision that's best for you, if you don't want to go to Uni just get - don't go, if you don't want to go continue with education - don't. 

Don't just make a decision because it fits what everyone else is doing or because it fits what others want you to do. 
Do what you want to do. 

I lost my sense of direction during my second year of college, and I just chose a Uni and course because I thought I should. It's what my parents wanted & it's what everyone else was doing, boy I was wrong. 
I hated every minute of that course at Uni and even when I suffered badly with depression I can't remember being as unhappy as I was last year. 
In hind sight I should've taken a year out to gather my thoughts and work out what I wanted to do, fortunately it all worked out anyway & I'm now doing a course I love. 

3) there's plenty of time. 


As much as everyone is probably saying it right now, everything you do now will not predict the rest of your life. 

If you choose something you enjoy and go on to pursue then great, you've got a head start. 
If you make a mistake and you don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would, never mind - have a think and change direction! 

Life unpredictable, do what makes you happy.




Good luck & don't panic!  
xxx



disclaimer: I take no credit for any of the photos in this post-  they were all sourced elsewhere (google images!)

No comments:

Post a Comment